Technology

Year 7 Art, Food and RMT
Students follow a carousel comprising Art and Design, Food Technology and Resistant Materials Technology. Each material area is visited twice a year. The projects for Year 7 are: Art - Natural form and African Masks; Food - a foundation course covering hygiene, safety, equipment, the cooker, heat transfer and design and make skills project; RMT - Tangram and Car. All three courses cover the basics of Designing and Making, including research, generation of ideas, developing of ideas and skills, making and evaluation.

Year 8 Art, Food and RMT
Students follow a carousel comprising Art and Design, Food Technology and Resistant Materials Technology. Each material area is visited twice a year. The projects for Year 8 are: Art - Pop Art and Sculpture; Food - a course covering nutrition and healthy eating with design and make tasks; RMT – Steady Hand Game and Trophies. All three courses cover Designing and Making, research, generation of ideas, developing ideas and skills, making and evaluating.

Year 9/10/11 GCSE Art and Design
GCSE Art and Design is a broad course that covers a range of 2D and 3D processes and techniques. The course requires students to produce a portfolio of work that explores historical and contemporary artists and cultures. The portfolio must contain a minimum of two projects that are completed in lessons and are worth 60% of the overall GCSE. In Year 11 students will be asked to complete an exam which is worth the remaining 40% of the final grade.

Year 9/10/11 GCSE Food Technology
GCSE Food Technology covers a wide range of topics, including special diets, sports nutrition, multi-cultural, celebration and sustainability. Over the course students will develop a whole range of creative designing and making skills, technical knowledge and understanding relating to food products and invaluable transferable skills such as problem solving a time management. Food Technology at this level is assessed in two ways: Coursework where students demonstrate their designing and making skills and knowledge and understanding through a design and make task resulting in a range of high quality Food technology products which carries a 60% weighting; a Terminal Examination where students apply their knowledge and understanding of Food Technology to four structured questions including opportunities for designing and analysing products carrying a weighting of 40%.

Year 9/10/11 GCSE Resistant Materials Technology
GCSE Resistant Materials Technology covers a wide range of topics, including materials and processes, industrial and commercial practices, quality checks, health and safety issues and sustainability. Over the course students will develop a whole range of creative designing and making skills, technical knowledge and understanding relating to RM products and invaluable transferable skills such as problem solving a time management. RM Technology at this level is assessed in two ways: Coursework where students demonstrate their designing and making skills and knowledge and understanding through a design and make task resulting in the manufacture of a high quality RM technology product which carries a 60% weighting; a Terminal Examination where students apply their knowledge and understanding of RM Technology to four structured questions including opportunities for designing and analysing products carrying a weighting of 40%.

Year 12/13 BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design
In Years 12 and 13 students are given the opportunity to complete a BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design which is the equivalent to an A Level on successful completion of the course.
The BTEC Art and Design has a vocational context that offers students a wider perspective and essential experience of working within the creative industry. It gives learners the knowledge, understanding and skills that they need to prepare for employment. The course is 100% coursework and consists of either 6 or 12 units of work depending on whether students are completing a Subsidiary Diploma (one A Level equivalent) or a Diploma (two A Level equivalents).
On successful completion of the course a student can progress on to or within employment and/or continue their study in the same or related vocational area. There are therefore opportunities to progress on to higher education after completing this course.